Learn more about our FSC® Certification
We believe that forestlands are precious natural resources that need to be preserved for future generations to enjoy. Properly managed forests provide forestry related jobs, reduce atmospheric carbon and provide scenic beauty for everyone to enjoy. This vision for well-managed forests serves as the foundation for our procurement philosophy.
The Forest Stewardship Council™ is recognized the global benchmark in forest certification. Their standards promote socially acceptable, environmentally conscious and economically viable forest management. Certification provides a credible link from certified forests to our customers. Our company is proud to be one of the first companies in North America to achieve FSC® certification.
We are passionate about the conservation of the world’s forests. Over half of our company’s forest products originate from third party certified forestlands. In addition to certification, our logging crews are among the most skilled in the industry. They employ best management practices for conservation of biodiversity, water quality, erosion control and safety.
About the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is an international organization that promotes responsible stewardship of the world’s forests. The FSC permits accredited, independent third party organizations to grant FSC certification to forest managers and forest-product producers. In order to receive FSC certification, forest managers and forest-product producers must meet FSC standards which support and reinforce social, environmental, and industrial interests. FSC certifiable forest management must maintain the biodiversity of the forest, sustain and reinforce long term benefits of natural resources, and protect potentially effected ecosystems.
Benefits provided by the FSC include:
- International recognition for forest management efforts to protect native inhabitants
- Assurance that future generations will enjoy the benefits of forests
- Assurance that wildlife is protected
- Assurance that land ownership and workers’ rights are respected
- Market recognition of the FSC trademark
- Interaction among forest owners and environmental organizations
FSC Chain of Custody (COC) Certification is the portion of the FSC that includes distributors, building supply stores, cabinet makers, millworkers, furniture builders, and contractors. COC certification sets guidelines for this industry, in buying, storing, remanufacturing, and selling FSC certified products ensuring their credibility.
The FSC is an internationally recognized (145 countries), standard-setting organization in forest management. The FSC is unique in its dedication to social, environmental, and industrial interests through its standards for responsible forest stewardship. The system requires annual controls of each forest management operation and:
- Prohibits the use of hazardous pesticides
- Prohibits cultivation of genetically modified trees
- Avoids illegally harvested wood that is in violation of traditional and civil rights; from conservation areas; from the conversion of natural forests or from genetically altered trees.